No decision yet on PM Tarique Rahman’s India visit, says press secretary

Ajker Patrika Desk
No decision yet on PM Tarique Rahman’s India visit, says press secretary
Prime Minister Tarique Rahman. File Photo

Bangladesh has not yet made any final decision on Prime Minister Tarique Rahman’s possible visit to India, Press Secretary A A M Saleh said on Friday after several Indian media outlets reported that he would travel to New Delhi from August 23 to 25.

Speaking to Reuters, Saleh said, “No decision has yet been made on the visit.” Saleh also said Dhaka was awaiting India’s response on the extradition of Sheikh Hasina and other fugitive accused.

Earlier, in an exclusive interview with the state-run news agency BSS on Thursday, Prime Minister’s Foreign Affairs Adviser and BNP Joint Secretary General for International Affairs Humayun Kabir said any visit by Prime Minister Tarique Rahman to India should not be rushed. Humayun Kabir said the trip could take place once a suitable environment was created on the basis of mutual trust, confidence, respect for sovereignty, diplomatic discussions and a respectful invitation from India.

In New Delhi on Friday, Indian Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal was also asked about the possible visit at the ministry’s regular weekly briefing. Jaiswal said, “I have nothing to say at this moment regarding the visit of Bangladesh’s Prime Minister. If there is any progress, it will be communicated.”

Discussion over a possible India visit by Tarique Rahman has intensified in recent days amid increased diplomatic engagement between the two countries.

Earlier on Friday afternoon, Rashtrapati Bhavan withdrew an institutional press release within an hour of issuing it, after it appeared to refer to the Bangladeshi prime minister’s upcoming Delhi visit.

At around 2pm, the office of the President of India issued a statement saying a military drill scheduled for Saturday at Rashtrapati Bhavan had been postponed. The release drew attention in diplomatic circles because it appeared before any formal announcement on the visit had been made by the foreign ministries of either country.

At around 3pm, the President’s office sent a second special message declaring the earlier press release completely cancelled.

Google News Icon

Follow us on Google News for the latest updates

Most Read
Latest
1
2
3
4
5

Related